Thursday 3 November 2011

Chatsworth House Cascade

Have I suddenly become Judith Chalmers with my travelogues?  I've got the hair for it but not the tan though.

One of the reasons for wanting to go to Chatsworth House when we were in Derbyshire was to see the cascade.  Last year as part of our 3rd year degree course, we had to do a conservation management plan for Greenwich Park and one of my proposals was to create a cascade on the hill beneath the General Woolfe statue (its General Morph again!).  I used the Chatsworth cascade as a template and made a Blue Peter style working model to show how it could work in my 5 minute presentation:


Anyway, here are some pictures.


I didn't realise until I was standing beside it that the cascade has a flat paving surface to each part.  I expected to see shallow pools of water that overflowed into the next one.
Each step of the cascade has been designed differently so that it makes a slightly different noise from the previous one, and after you pass each one you can no longer hear it as you are drawn to the noise of the next.


The only pool is at the top near the Baroque Temple or Cascade House.

And finally Esther, the Emperor fountain in the late October afternoon sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment